This week was truly an enlightening week with a few aha moments…moments in which I actually felt the warmth of the light bulbs going on for me. Jumping right in…we all have our seasons where we forget about the great things that make us who we are and with that, tend to let go of our self-awareness, even if just a bit. This week was one of those weeks for me.
What brought this on? So glad you asked. Well, this week involved just a lot going on with family, friends and even coworkers. It actually got to be a bit overwhelming with me wondering how to even respond to some things. One situation involved someone just coming into my office, shutting the door behind her and saying, “I’m sorry, I just need to sit here for just a few minutes because I feel some tears coming on and you’re the nicest person I know here.” Uhhhh, crying, I don’t do well with that. Anyhoo, needless to say, with all of this, I just got lost in trying to help others and getting them through that in facing some things on my own….I got a little lost.
Fortunately for me, I am surrounded by people who will bluntly give me a quick reality check that includes a reminder of who I really am. The reminders all came mid-week, from three different people, all just in time. From one of my managers, a coworker, and a dear friend came the following:
- “I need you to keep walking around here like you’re a VIP because that’s just who you are.”
- “I don’t think you realize how much power you actually have.”
- “You’re a woman with more power than you know and if you’re not going to use it, hand it over because I will.”
I had to think about all this and make sure that this wasn’t about being overly confident or down right cocky. The more I did think about it, I realized that given the definition of power-ability to act or produce an effect-yeah, I am pretty powerful!!!! And so is every fabulously fierce woman I know, including you! So, my message for you today:
- I need you to walk around like the VIP that you are.
- Realizing the power you have, acknowledge it for yourself every day, focusing on the effect you want to produce.
- You’re a woman with more power than you know and if you’re not going to use it, I will and so will a whole lot of other women I know.
Finally, my ask of you today, please remind another fabulously fierce woman about how powerful she is; remind her of her ability to produce the effect she seeks to have in this world; treat her like a VIP by sharing what you now know.
Soundtrack of the week: Ummmm, I actually need some recommendations here…….any songs about power come to mind?