This past week was incredibly busy and truly phenomenal. Things that have been put on the back burner for a little bit with work are now well-positioned to be picked up given that our official “busy season” is wrapped up. Also, this week included a full slate of scheduled coaching clients with a variety of items/topics to be addressed. Across the board though, one item continued to come up across the diversity in age, culture, experience, etc of my clients…..love.
For those for whom love is a “missing” component…not yet evident…you know, my single ladies, I had a few sessions where we focused on what was really at hand (oh the irony). What I had to address with each was what internally was keeping them from the love that they wanted to experience.
One piece of wisdom that I had to offer as I was reminded of a quote was the following:
“Your task is not to seek for love, but to seek and melt all the barriers within yourself that you have built against it….Love is everywhere. Melt your barriers and you will have love in abundance.”- Unknown(really, really wish I had the source to give cred)
There’s much more to this quote as I have it captured in a notebook of mine but this is really the core of what I was getting to with a few folks this week. Sometimes, and naturally so, as human beings, we focus on potential external factors that may be limiting our ability to obtain the desires of the heart. We seek to identify potential external factors that may very well be the “culprit(s)”. Instead, what I would submit is more productive, would be to challenge ourselves to pause and consider what internally may be limiting us, positioned as barriers in our perspective, our openness, our truth and honesty with ourselves. Ok, I guess I’ll just go there….we have to be daring and comfortable with the uncomfortable process of asking what are the deeper issues within that are challenging us to be open to, not only the potential but the prospect of love and any other experiences that may not be present in our life experiences that we so wish were?
Yup, this gets to some seriously deep stuff, but it’s when we embrace the deep that we get the depth in all the positive things we seek. Yuck, I know. One of my clients even warned me “Ok, I’ll go there with you because I need this but it’s just not going to be pretty.” I’m gave if you’re game! So, where do we start and what is the process? I’m always so happy with our inquisitive you are J
- Accept the “ugly”. Yeah, this process is not pretty and that’s totally cool. Who wants to just be pretty when you can grow into beauty? Sometimes to see how extraordinary you are, you have to accept that the process getting there is going to involve blood, sweat and tears or at a minimum, feelings of fear, anxiety, pressure, anguish, emotional pain….all, just part of the process. Accept what it will look and feel like, knowing that it will not be forever.
- Embrace the reality that you have some barriers that you are the “culprit” in building. It’s absolutely ok because you’re human and so what if you’ve created some blocks. More than likely these were built for good reason. Life is not a matter of just simple, independent activities but more valuable, experiences in which we decide how to react. Safety or self-protection is always a good option in the moment when we feel threatened or in a position to be on guard. It’s just never a long-tern, eternal solution. That being said, accept that you may have appropriately built some walls, if you will, and as for good reason, there’s no shame in it, just opportunity for acceptance.
- Call your barriers out-Make it plane to yourself by being specific in identifying your barriers, internal blocks, and walls. Use whatever channel you need to to express what they are. In identifying them, they have no hold over you. Instead, you can call them out and be empowered to address them as needed.
- Show them the door, giving yourself time to facilitate their permanent exit-I don’t think I could say this more plainly. Let go of the walls, the barriers, the guards…and be patient with yourself in the process of letting them go forever.
- Welcome in what you desire-Enjoy and bask in the desires of your heart that are bound to manifest!